Thursday, February 6, 2014

DON'T PULL THOSE PLANTS UP!

Lots of calls and questions have been coming in due to the extreme weather we have been having here in Ms. We have experienced record breaking cold and some sleet and snow and ice. The main concern has been in the prolonged temperatures in the teens and twenties-and some cases single digits. A lot of plants and trees look bad-or even dead. I think the best thing to do is just leave them alone and wait for spring-some things will put out again even if they look like goners. As long as the roots don't freeze, things should be o.k. If a severe cold is predicted make sure evergreens are thoroughly watered. Of course at the moment at my house water is standing everywhere from the recent heavy rains! I know m ost of us don't want to lose plants and trees that we have grown and come to love, but that just means we can buy more and maybe better varieties-have to look for the positive!

2 comments:

  1. Good advice and I agree. Something can look dead as a door nail and then all of a sudden it sprouts out right next to the base.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been a harsh winter coast to coast . I know the south has been in shock with the cold temperatures, I knew things were bad when Savannah Georgia had frozen water pipes all over town .
    I really hope not to many plants are lost. I always worry about my beautiful hydrangeas making it through our harsh winters we had -35 below this year

    Janice

    ReplyDelete